INTRODUCE ABOUT HOA LO MUSEUM
One of the symbol of the French colonists exploitation that still exists and preserves is Hoa Lo prison. Along its long history, It is called as several other names such as Maison centrale, Hanoi Hilton hotel and Hoa Lo prison. No matter what its name is, the prison is the most justified evidence that demonstrates the brutality of the French colonial government toward Vietnamese people. Initially, the French built it with a point of capturing and torturing Vietnamese revolutionaries patriots who were willing to fight against the French colonialism. After 1954 when the French enemy lose in Vietnam war, the prison became the primary camp to keep American pilots in jail who had been shot down in the war.
HISTORY STORIES ABOUT HOA LO
Hoa Lo prison was constructed in 1896 by the French. It used to belong to Phu Khach village that specialized in producing pottery stoves. The French forced the residents to leave in order to build Maison central. At that time, Hoa Lo prison was the biggest prison in Indochina but it was not the cruelest one since there was a Guillotine that was sent from France. It was the Guillotine that relieved the paint for prisoners because it made prisoners dead fast instead of suffering cruel severe torture. It originally tended to capture 500 inmates, but in fact, the prison kept at the peak of over 2000 prisoners in jail.
SOME TORTURE-OBJECTS IN HOA LO PRISON
When it comes to its architecture, the prison was designed to become one of the harshest prisons with solid stone walls being 0,5 metre thick and 4 meter high. Moreover, it was reinforced by the barbed wires fence with high voltage electricity and covered by broken glass on the top of the walls so that no one could break out. In the premises of the prison, there were watch towers to monitor and observe every moment here. The outer of the prison was guarded seriously while the inside was designed to bring the sense of fear to prisoners. Dirty, damp, tiny cells were painted in grey and black that made people suffocating. The fear invaded their mind, as a result, they would die gradually without under the hands of the French colonists. It is noteworthy to mention that both facilities and tortured tools were brought from France so their quality was extremely good and reliable.
hoa-lo-guillotine- hoa -lo- prison
TERRIBLE TORTURE OF THE FRENCH GOVERNMENT WITH VIETNAMESE SOLDIERS
The French government brought in such severe laws. Revolutionary soldiers did not have human right, they were treated badly as wild animals or livestock. The French guards gave them leftover, stale food contained in pig troughs that Vietnamese farmers often fed their livestock. Moreover, Vietnamese political prisoners were tortured by wearing stock in their neck and chaining their foot to cells. They had to endure the harshest conditions, including stale food and unsanitary conditions. They used the savage instrument of torture and racked under various forms such as sliding their head into tub to strike, using electric wire to beat and using head-cut machine. it was the most terrible thing making inmates scared even dead before sentencing.
Despite suffering the paint physically and mentally, the prisoners still did not overpower and dampen their patriotism and determination for releasing our nation from colonization. Instead of surrendering, they made the prison become a revolutionary school. They taught languages and transferred books talking about political ideology so as to nurture their fight willpower against the French colonialism.
prisoners in Hoa Lo
The most memorable events were twice escaped from the jail. The first one took place in 6/3/1945 lead by Ho Chi Minh. Thanks to his perfect plan, 100 prisoners including Do Muoi, Tran Dang Ninh,… escaped successfully by going through the sewer. No sooner had they come back their local than they took charge of leading the August revolution to take the authority and made significant contribution to the national independence and liberating our nation from the French colonialism. The second one was in 24/12/1951, taking advantage of the neglected vigilance of the prison guards when they were enjoying Christmas, 16 prisoners planned to escape. Unfortunately, owing to unwanted change, everything did not go according to the plan, consequently, there were 5 out of 16 prisoners breaking out successfully. Others were arrested and had to end up with death penalty. In spite of anticipating a wide range of difficulties and obstacles, they were willing to sacrifice because of the freedom and independence.
After the war defending against the French enemy won completely, the prison was utilized to capture American pilots who had been shot down. If the French made use of the prison as a place to torture brutally revolutionary people, Vietnamese government, by contrast, treated American pilots clemently as if they had been enjoying an extended holiday in Hilton hotel. There are numerous exhibits such as clothes, beds, dairies that they wrote and did when they were imprisoned in the prison. They could access medical care, practice exercise on a daily basis and even write letters to their beloved people. Besides, they were given chance to talk with reporters and humanitarian agencies. It is quite confused to understand the humanitarian laws that Vietnamese government adapted to American inmates. Nevertheless, it was the purpose of the government to express that Vietnamese people always respect the peace and human right, instead of being rivals, all countries around the world should be friends to support each other to develop non-stop.
Hoa Lo prison nowadays occupies one-fifth area of the prison in the past because of building other construction serving the need of society. The prison attracts millions of both local and international tourists every year, especially in some special holidays, it is pleasant to welcome former prisoners to share unforgettable events about the war. the prison helps to remind young generations about the sacrifice and ceaseless effort of patriots and brave soldiers to gain independence that we are enjoying today.
monumental place in Hoa Lo
How do you think about the relic?
Hanoi is long war history with sacrifice and ceaseless effort of patriots who were willing to sacrifice because of the freedom and independence. Moreover, Hanoi has others hightlight history places such as Long Bien bridge, Vietnamese Women’s Museum and Military History Museum.
Also, if you find useful information in this article, would you mind encouraging me with a book tour button. Thank you.
If you are in Ha Noi and want to have a different experience to explore the Viet Nam’s capital, I think our Ha Noi Street Food Tour online is very useful for you. I think you may know that Ha Noi has many delicious dishes and each dish has many kinds of it. However, you have only a limited amount of time; can you enjoy all best dishes? Don’t worry because we have a list of top 10 dishes to try in Ha Noi. The top 10 street foods will make you become a real Hanoians. The only one question you should ask yourself is “Hey stomach, are you ready?” I hope so.
- About: i think every Vietnamese has the same opinion that “ Crab noodle soup that is so delicious that it very popular with the locals.” It has a light and natural sweet that make it different from all kinds of food you have ever tried before. Moreover, it is very good for your health because there are a perfect mixture of protein., vegetables and noodles. Thus, there is no need for you to worry about gaining your
- What are included: the soup has many ingredients basing on regional culture. However, some elements are common in all regions.
- What are servered accompanying: Vietnamese have habit of eating vegetables with soup. For crab noodles soup, they often choose: fresh lettuces, coriander leaves or onion leaves. Even if, they eat soup with “ quay” (a dish made of potatoes) or tofu.
local special crab noodle soup
- Where to eat in Hanoi: top 4 the most famous places
– Address: 42th Hoa Ma Street, Hai Ba Trung, Ha Noi.
– Reviews: Crab noodles soups are very big which full of crab’s meat, beef and yellow- fried- tofu. The serving attitude is very high so you can enjoy your
– Price: 30000 VND – 55.000
2. Mrs Teo
– Address: 104 C6 To Hieu, Nghia tam. Cau Giay, Ha Noi.
– Reviews: the soup is colorful of many kinds of elements. Especially, the vegetables eating accompanying is very delicious. The place is very crowded in the noon and in the evening.
– Price : 30.000 VND
3. Nguyen Sieu Street.
– Address: 32th Nguyen Sieu, Hoan Kiem, Ha Noi.
– Reviews: although it is quite narrow, it is always full of people. The broth is mixed of much taste but it is still keep its original one.
– Opening time: 6AM -6 PM
– Price: 000 VND – 45.000VND
VERMICELLI & TOFU WITH SHRIMP PASTE- THE WEIRD FOOD OF WHAT TO EAT IN HANOI
- About: it is one of the strangest dishes you have ever tried but I think you may be surprised but its taste. The first time you see the dish, I guess you may hesitate of trying because of its smell but it is the dish that you should not miss.
- What are included: fried tofu, fishcakes, pork and tightly compressed vermicelli noodles “patties” cut into cubes. These elements are eaten dipped into a shrimp paste. It is a special seasoning of Vietnamese. It is very strange taste but be aware of eating too much may bother you stomach.
- What are servered accompanying fresh herbs, pork.
- Where to eat in Hanoi:
1) Hang Khay :
– Address: 31th Hang Khay, Ha Noi.
– Reviews: it is the most famous place for people who want to enjoy bun dau mam tom. You may be surprised by its crowd. It proves the attractions of the place.
– Opening time: 10h30 am – 19 pm
– Price: 45.000 VND
2 ) Cay Bang, Dai La Street:
– Address: Cay Bang, Dai La street, Hai Ba Trung, Ha Noi.
– Reviews: people choose the place because of many reasons but the most important one is its delicious taste. Therefore, in high times, you many have to wait about for 15 minutes to 20 minutes to have the dish on your own.
– Opening time: 10am – 14pm
– Price: 000 VND
STIR FRIED NOODLE-SPECIAL NOODLE OF WHAT TO EAT IN HANOI
- About: If you are bored with beef pho or chicken pho , stir fried noodles is one kind of pho that you should not miss. The rice noodles are worked fried with greens and meat.
- What are included: noodles, vegetables, beef and onion leaves.
- Where to eat:
1) Bat Dan:
– Address: 45 Bat Dan, Hoan Kiem, Ha Noi.
It is opened may years ago but until now, there are different opinions about its taste. For some people, they think the dish is hardly eatable. However, for most people, the dish’s taste is very unique. The sweet and salty sauce is the most special taste that nowhere in Ha Noi has. That why there are people being addicted to the dish.
– Opening time: 08:00 Am – 11:Pm
– Price : 30.000 VND- 66.000 VND
2) Hang Buom
– Address: 11th Hang Buom, Hoan Kiem, Ha Noi.
– Review: the dish is not only fried well done but also its high quality beef that make you never forget. Thus, since about 7 pm, the place is crowed until late.
– Opening time: 06:00pm – 03:30 pm
– Price: 50.000- 110.000
FALE DOG MEAT (BUN GIA CAY)
- About: are you wondering about its name? False or real? You are far from alone . Most of people are also not sure about it. In fact, I can make sure that it is false. Therefore, you don’t need to worry about trying it at least one time because you love it may be. In winter, enjoying the dish is not the bad choice to dispel cold.
dog meat noodle soup
- What are included: pork, galangal, shrimp paste and mẻ ( a kind of seasoning made of rice fermented).
- What are servered accompanying :noodles, savory nature and lemongrass
- Where to eat: according to Foody.vn and Lozi.vn – two best of voted attracting places websites In Viet Nam, places below are recommended:
1) Kim Lien
– Address: between the C6 and C9 dormitory, Kim Lien, Dong Da, Ha Noi.
– Reviews: the place is clean. Noodles are white and tough. Pork is well done but soft enough. In addition, good serving and cheap price is plus mark for this place
However, you should notice on its address because it is quite hard to find the place. You go to the 132th house in Phuong Mai Street. Then, you will see a large alley opposing you. Going in the alley, you are arrived in the place. One recommend for you, don’t be the guest after 1 pm or you are nothing to order.
– Opening time: 07 Am- 10. Pm
– Price: 20.000- 35.000 VND
2) Vu Pham Ham
– Address: walking side Vu Pham Ham Street, Cau Giay, Ha Noi
– Reviews: opened in walking side, the place is quite clean. The dish is very good, especially greasy broth.
– Opening time: 6 Am- 11 Am
– Price 25.000 – 33.000 VND
SPRING ROLLS (BUN NEM)
- About: bun nem is another attracting dish in Ha Noi. The greasy of fried spring rolls, the sweet-and-sour sauce and the toughness of noodles make a great impression on you since the first time. No surprisingly that you will drop in a place to enjoy the dish in the second or the third time like real Hanoians. Try it if you see it.
- What are included: noodles, spring rolls, sauce.
- What are servered accompanying : vegetables such as been sprouts, fresh herbs.
- Where to eat:
1) Dinh cong
– Address: Opposing KFC Dinh Cong street, Hoang Mai, HA Noi
– Reviews: I love this place because of both cheap price and good taste of the dish. I will come back here when the next time I visit Viet Nam and Ha Noi.
– Opening time: 9h AM- 9h PM
– Price: 15.000- 35.000 VND
2) Hang Cot
– Address: 36th Hang Cot, Hoan Kiem, Ha Noi.
– Reviews: the place has been highly recommended by customers on its location, price, dish quality and serving attitude.
– Opening time: 6h30 am – 9h30am
– Price : 30.000-40.000
STEAMED PORK WRAPS (BANH CUON)
- About: the dish is local delicacy in Ha Noi despite many regions in Viet Nam sell it. It can be said that steamed pork wraps in Ha Noi is the best. Its distinguish taste is not like any taste of any dishes in Ha Noi or in the world. Furthermore, I suppose that no one can deny trying a colorful and skillfully made dish like it. Try it and while waiting for being served, taking notice around because I may sitting next to you.
- What are included: pork, mushroom filling wrapped in freshly steamed rice paper. After that, chiefs top banh cuon with crunchy fried shallots.
- What are servered accompanying: fish sauce, chili sauce and fresh herbs.
1) Thanh Van.
– Address: 12th -14th Hang Ga, Hoan Kiem, Ha Noi
– Phone number: 0438.280.108
– Reviews: in Tripadvisor, people laid great store upon it.
A foreigner- John said “I was so surprised when I saw many people eating there at 10 am. They don’t have to work or the dish is too attracting? I am not sure.”
– Opening time: 6h3-9hpm
– Price: 15.000-28.000
– Address: 66th To Hien Thanh, Hai ba Trung, HA noi.
– Reviews: charice “the first time I saw it, I said “oh my god, is it eatable?”. It is very strange to me. Nevertheless, after that, I ate the dish every morning during my period of time in Ha Noi. I wish I could cook it for my family.”
– Opening time: 6:30 am -10 pm
– Price: 30.000 VND- 60.000 VND
VIETNAMESE SANWICH (banh mi)-VIETNAMES ICONIC OF WHAT TO EAT IN VIETNAM
About: you have a habit of eating sandwich but you are afraid of not finding it in Viet Nam? You don’t need to order a sandwich in your country and wait for it transferred to Viet Nam (if you can) because in Ha Noi, Vietnamese sandwich is an ideal alternation for you. From my point of view, Vietnamese sandwich is one of the most ingenious France-meets- Asia creations ever!
What is included: a fluffy baguette is full of many kinds of elements such as pate, cold cuts, cucumber and picked daikon and carrots.
What are servered accompanying : in Ha Noi, this sandwich is served with hot sauce and mayo drizzled on top?
Where to eat:
1) Pho co (the old quarter)
– Address: 38th Dinh Liet, Ha Noi.
– Reviews: you may be simplicity of the place but it has existed for a long time. Its dish- Vietnamese sandwich is favored by many people. Especially, all of elements used are made by owners
– Price: 20.000- 25.000
– Address: 34th LO Su, Hoan Kiem HA Noi.
– Reviews: it has been existed since 1979 so it is one of the most long life places in Ha Noi. Even though the country has changed a lot since that time, the dish’ taste in the place is still kept. Thus, it comes as no surprise to me that the place is always crowed.
– Opening time: 6h am- 9h pm
– Price: 15.000-25.000
STICKY RICE ( xoi deo)- TRADITIONAL FOOD OF WHAT TO EAT IN HANOI
About: Vietnamese have habit of eating rice in all of their dishes. Sticky rice is a different kind of rice that it the one of the most popular dish in Ha Noi.
What are included: sticky rice with various toppings. Differ from your first imagination of it, it does not come plain. Grilled pork, ground meat and eggs are dispensable elements.
What are servered accompanying: sliced cucumbers.
Where to eat:
1) Xoi Yen
– Address: 35B- the corner of main street Nguyen Huu Huan and Hang Mam, Hoan Kiem Ha Noi.
– Reviews: Hana “I thought rice is not my favorite before but when I ate the dish, I changed my mind. It is very good.”
– Opening time: 5 am – 1 am
– Price: 35.000- 44.000
2) Yen Ninh
– Address 98th Yen Ninh, Hang Bun, Ba DInh, Ha Noi.
– Reviews: “the bowl of sticky rice very big but I can not leave any thing because it is delicious”
– Opening time: 9h am -9h pm
– Price: 30.000- 60.000
CHICKEN NOODLE SOUP
About: traditional pho in Ha Noi is so famous that I think I don’t need to comment any things. Chicken pho is one of two the most popular kinds of pho in Ha Noi.
What are included: chicken meat, broth, noodles and seasonings.
What are servered accompanying : lemon, herbs.
Where to eat:
1) Tu Lun
– Address: 5th Hang Trong, Hoan Kiem, Ha Noi.
– Reviews: I cannot explain why I love the place but the taste is vey wonderful. I am sure there is any where which has a more delicious dish than this place.
– Price: 20.000- 28.000
– Opening time: 06:00 AM – 01:30 PM
03:00 PM – 11:00 P
2) Quan Thanh
– Address 156th Quan Thanh, Ba Dinh, Ha Noi.
– Reviews: Kim “ I and my boyfriend came here only one time when we visited Viet Nam 1 years ago but I am still remember the good taste of Pho here.”
– Opening time: 06:30 AM – 11:00 AM
– Price: 25.000- 44.000vnd.
GRILLED PORK & VERMICELLI (BUN CHA)
About: visiting ha Noi, bun Cha is the dish you should eat or no one believes that you came here. It reflects our creation of food along with our eating culture so that why in 2016, the President of USA Obama decided to enjoy it in his time in Ha Noi with other members of House of Parliament.
Bun Cha with Hanoikids
What are included: noodles, pork (there are two kinds of pork: strips of meat and minced pork patties), onion leaves.
What are severed accompanying: fish sauces, herbs.
Where to eat:
1) Huong Lien
– Address: 24th Le van Huu, ha Noi
– Reviews: oh my god, when I knee our President came here; I guessed the dish is very good. Last year, I came Ha Noi and tried it. Wow, I am not wrong.
– Opening time: 9 am -8h pm
– Price: 40.000- 85.000 VND
2) Dac Kim
– Address 1th Hang Manh, Hoang Kiem
– Reviews: although the price is quite high, the quality of dish is equally to your money. “Cha” is made of crab. Besides, the size of the dish is large enough for any stomach regardless how big it is.
– Opening time: 10am -19 Pm
– Price: 50.000-60.000 VND
Why don’t you BOOK food tours in order to discover Hanoi street food tours with us.
Someone said “Food reflects not only the material world but also the spirit world of a country.” Therefore, for foreigners, enjoying food in another country is one of the most special ways to explore its culture.
According to CNN Travel “What list of Vietnamese cuisine would be complete without best pho hanoi? It’s almost impossible to walk a block in Vietnam’s major cities without bumping into a crowd of hungry patrons slurping noodles at a make shift pho stand”.
Vietnamese Beef Noodle Soup
And you, have you tried Best Pho Ha Noi yet? If not, don’t worry because Ha Noi Free Local Tour will please to guide you enjoy one of the best dishes in our Ha Noi street food tour online.
Like Pizza in Italia, Pho is one of best cuisine food in Viet Nam but it is particular in Ha Noi. It is the dish that you shouldn’t miss ‘even if in your last night in Ha Noi.
No one can make sure about “when pho was created and who created it?” because there are many opinions about this issue. According to some scholars, pho was created in the 20 century, especially particular in Ha Noi. Thus, there are places which have sold pho for decades. For people who ate it, all of them have high opinion about pho in Ha Noi. That why Pho is the most famous dish in Ha Noi.
Pho is diversified in kind and taste depending on regional culture. In Ha Noi, places have created many different kind of best pho in hanoi to make fresh taste so foreigners have an attracting long list of choices .However, beef pho and chicken pho are the best kinds of pho.
WHAT BEST PHO HANOI IS MADE OF
If you are wondering of what pho is made of, you are far from alone in your confusion. Despite variations of ingredients, the main elements of the dish are steamy broth, fresh rice noodles, sliced beef or chicken, and herbs or scallions.
HOW TO DO BEST PHO HANOI
Broth is the most important element in dish which makes the difference between places. In another word, broth decides whether pho dish is good or not. It makes the specifically distinctive taste of dish. Pig’s calf muscle or beef’s bones are steamed in from 3 hours to 7 hours. Thus, broth has an especially natural sweet and greasy taste that no kind of sugar can. After steaming them, broth is added many kind of seasoning such as onion, ginger, cinnamons, coriander seeds, star anise. These elements arouse peoples’ taste strongly. Each place selling best pho in Ha Noi has a secret of what amount of each element. It is called “secret recipe” to create distinguishing taste. “Secret recipe “is based on experience and skill of chefs. Therefore, some places become famous while some are not.
broth and slice meats
Sliced meats are another important element of pho. Meat is chosen carefully to make sure that they are fresh. Because only fresh meat can make good pho bowls. Meat is medium to make them softy enough when you chew. You can feel sweet of meat which is mixed with greasy taste of broth is the taste that you have never tried before.
Fresh rice noodles used in pho is often made of a special kind of rice. The rice is planted in Viet Nam. After through some handicraft steps, rice turns noodles. Chefs have some tips to make noodles white and tough. They said it is a traditional recipe that used many years from generation to next one.
Whereas in some countries, they often eat baked meat with mashed potatoes, Vietnamese has a similar special habit of eating. Because of its greasy taste; Vietnamese often eat pho accompanying vegetables to make the balance taste. There are many kinds of vegetables such as lettuce, been sprouts, coriander or basil. Besides vegetables, each place has other dishes which are served accompanied. That is another plus mark for them.
Now, I think it is time you wanted to search in Google “where can you get the best pho in Ha Noi?” Ha Noi Free Tour Guide has list of top 5 the best places for you.
SPECIAL RESTAURANT PHO IN HANOI
- Address: 7th Hang Thung, Hoan Kiem, Ha Noi
- About: Although it is not as famous as traditional places, it attracts customers by a unique characteristic. That is the mixture between music and pho, modern and tradition.
It is a good choice for people who want to listen to good songs while eating a pho bowl. I think it is a wonderful experience for you.
- Reviews: This place is wonderful. Its decor and songs make us very impressed. The service and food was great. Spring roll and Pho is the best.
PHO SUONG (EXTREMELY HAPPY PHO)
- Address: 24th Trung Yen, Hoan Kiem, Ha Noi.
- About: its name makes the first impression on people because of its strange. Owner explains that “in order to make Gods (the way Vietnamese call their customers) curious and extremely happy when they eat here, I choose that name.” in addition, the broth is a plus mark for customers. Sliced meat in pho is appreciated highly. It is sweet and soft enough to eat.
- Opening time: 5h30 am to 11h am
4h30 pm to 9h30 pm.
- Price: from 15000 VND to 39000VN
- Reviews: John “ the best pho i have ever tried. I think it is one for the best thing i can’t forget about Viet Nam.”
- Address: 13th Lo Duc, Ha Noi.
- About: the place has been famous for more than 30 years. Its specialty is broth’s taste which is made of steamy bone’s sweet and seasoning. You are severed accompanying “ quay” ( a dish made of tapioca). It is a distinguish characteristic of Pho Thin. The place is often crowed from morning till evening.
- Opening time: 6:00 am to 8:30pm
- Price: 40.000 VND to 60.000VND
- Reviews: Dave “ Its price is very cheap for the best beef Pho. I think the best thing of this pho is that its stir- fried beef or chicken. Moreover, the soup is so great that I think i can’t forget.”
10th LY QUOC SU
- Address : +) 10th Ly Quoc Su – 0438.257.338
+) 42th Hang Voi – 0915088586
+) N2A Hoang Minh Giam
- About: the place attracts people by its authentic, local and taste, the good quality of meat and seasoning. Moreover, the attitude serving here is very high, especially foreigners. Chiefs are please to sever people according to their taste. Therefore, there are many foreigners choose the place to eat pho each time they visit Viet Nam.
- Opening time: 6:30 am to 10:30 pm
- Price: 50.000VND to 77.000 VND
- Reviews: Chan : “the first time i have ever visited Ha Noi, I ate Pho in this place. My impression is great. I think i have to come back many times.”
Vietnamese Beef Noodle Soup
Traditional Bat Dan place.
- Address: 49th Bat Dan, Hoan Kiem, Ha Noi.
- About: Bat Dan is one of the best traditional places that you should come first when you want to enjoy a sapid pho bowl. It can be said that Bat Dan has a great contribution to reserve the distinctive taste of pho in Ha Noi for many years. It is not strange if you see people line up or pay first to enjoy a pho bowl here. Even if, after 9h am, if you are not hurry, pho will be sold out. It is speacial enough to prove its fame.
- Opening time: 6am to 10am
6pm to 8h30 pm.
- Price: because of its unique taste, its price is quite high from 30.000 VND to 55.000VND.
- Reviews: Gruu: “Oh mu God. I have tried many kinds of Pho but Pho in bat Dan is the best dish in the world.
I hope you have your choice now. So it is time went out and enjoyed a pho bowl at least one time but I think you won’t eat pho only one time. Let’s try it!!!
Vietnam is not only famous for best pho hanoi, but also distinctively strong of coffee. Let’s click What to eat to add information about hightlight coffee shop in Hanoi, and coffee filter in Hanoi.
You are addicted to coffee and it is a dispensable part of your life?
You are too familiar with instant coffee and you think it is your the most favorite coffee?
One day, you visit Viet Nam and want to enjoy a cup of coffee. You ask a cup of coffee like you did in your country. Don’t be surprised if the waiter serves you a strange cup of coffee. It has a metal filter above a glass cup. It is our pride – filter coffee. Don’t be shame to try it because you may want to buy it immediately after you enjoy a filter coffee in Vietnam
egg coffee- the weird drink
ABOUT VIETNAMESE COFFEE FILTER
Filter coffee in Vietnam has been familiar with Vietnamese for hundred years but it has just burst into a trend since the 1960s. It is said that coffee filter was bring to Viet Nam by a Frenchman. Initially, filter coffee is only served for rich people. Then, it is beloved by everyone. Until now, although there are many kind of instant coffee in Vietnam, you can easily to come across a filter coffee cup anywhere. Actually, because of its advantages such as small, works and cheapness, it has become a unique culture in making and enjoying a coffee of Vietnamese.
Nowadays, there are many kinds of coffee filters depending on material of it such as aluminium, inox or plastic. Each material has its own advantages and its disadvantages but aluminium and inox are the most popular material.
When you want to buy a coffee filter, there are some notes you should know. Firstly, coffee filters are diversified in size, width, depending on the need of buyers. However, a good coffee filter has to have middling and steady holes to avoid dried coffee powder falling.
For aluminium coffee filter, its weakness is hard to clean after use.
For Inox coffee filter, you should choose filters which are made of stainless and meet the USA ASTM 304 or 430 quality standard. It will be harmless to your health and do not have bad affect on the quality of coffee.
A coffee filter including many parts: cup, press, bottom filter and lid. It works in endosmosis way which makes coffee have a special taste.
WHERE TO BUY A COFFEE FILTER IN VIETNAM
If you want to buy it online, there are many websites such as Amazon, Alibaba, and eBay. The price of a coffee filter fluctuates from 4.99 $ to 16 $.
If you are visiting Viet Nam, you are easily to buy it at a by far cheaper price – from 10 thousand dong (about 0.55$) to 1.5 $. You can go to any grocer’s in noisy streets to buy a coffee filter. Besides, supermarkets or famous coffee brands branches in sort of Trung Nguyen, Vinacafe also supply it to you.
In Ha Noi, there are 5 the most famous coffee streets that you should drop off to enjoy a standard filter coffee cup of Ha Noi. They are Trieu Viet Vuong, Thai Phien- Le Dai Hanh, Nguyen Huu Huan, Ly Thuong Kiet, Ho Dac Di. When you come these streets, you may be surprised because of crowed in all of coffee shops. Moreover, you will see how much Vietnamese love coffee although in Viet Nam, coffee was turned up much later than West countries. However, Vietnamese share a special way to enjoy the attracting drink in common. It reflects the culture of Vietnamese – patience and delicacy.
HOW TO MAKE A VIETNAMESE FILTER COFFEE
What to do
+ An amount of fresh coffee (Robusta coffee planted in highlands in Viet Nam is recommended. Trung Nguyen coffee brand is the most famous coffee brand in Vietnam because of its high quality and price).
+ 100-300ml boiling water from 95 C to 100C
+ condensed milk (it contains sugar and is heat processed with steam. It reflects deep flavor of Vietnamese.)
How to do a filter coffee cup
+ Firstly, you have to clean your coffee filter with hot water. It makes coffee powder swell steadier.
+ Secondly, add an amount of coffee powder to ½ coffee filter. Then, you shake slightly. The next step is very important. You have to use press to twirling coffee powder in spiral but not too tightly to avoiding coffee powder can’t absorb hot water.
+ Thirdly, pour about 1/3 inch condensed to your cup then put Vietnamese coffee filter above.
Add about 20ml boiling water and wait for coffee swell in about 1 minute. Then, you add boiling water but the maximum level of water is 2/3 of coffee filter. Place the bottom of coffee filter to keep its taste. You may have to wait about 10 minutes to have a wonderful filter coffee cup.
+Lastly, you can add a little salt to make your coffee cup more scented and attracting. Before enjoying it, you should use a spoon to stir it.
How is a standard filter coffee cup in Vietnam:
+ You need to see the speed of coffee falling. If it falls in drop, you are successful or not, you may need to try again.
+ Your cup has three separate uppers. The first upper is condensed in cream color at the bottom. Above it, there is a coffee- condensed upper which has caramel color. The last upper is brown coffee.
Color of coffee: color of real coffee cup is brown no matter how high degree you parch coffee powder.
How to enjoy a Vietnamese filter coffee cup:
Enjoy a cup of coffee is an art especially a filter coffee cup. It not only demands the patience in making a good coffee cup but also in enjoying it. It can be said that “enjoying coffee is not for impatient and rush person.”
You should enjoy it little and little. When your tongue touches to coffee, you will feel a strange taste which you have never tried before. It is very different from instant coffee you are familiar with. While you drink it, you may realize why Vietnamese like it like that. They drink it with their friends or even alone. They said a filter coffee cup may help them realize many things of your life. If you want to see the rush life of Ha Noi while enjoy a cup of coffee, it is a good idea.
the coffee shop old-fashioned way
Hanoi is well- known for the best street food in the world, is not the most popular destination for those who are vegetarians, there are still some locations where you can enjoy decent vegetarian food. We have compiled a list of the 8 best vegetarian restaurants in the capital of Vietnam.
Bo De Vegetarian Restaurant
Bo De is a family owned vegetarian restaurant. The eclectic menu changes a little bit every day and it always has something for everyone, from fresh vegetables to rice dishes and noodle soups. The competent chef uses only the freshest ingredients to make her high quality dishes to taste absolutely delicious, all served at reasonable prices. Their special tea with panda leaf is something visitors must try.
- Price: budget
- Opening hours: Mon-Sun, 7 am – 10 pm
- Address: 68 Pham Huy Thong, Ngoc Khanh street, Ba Dinh district, Hanoi, Vietnam
FRIED TOFU WITH SPICY TOMATO SAUCE
An Phuc-one of the most special vegetarian restaurants in Vietnam
An excellent Mock Meat Experience
Located in Thai Ha area, An Phuc does not only serve fresh vegan dishes but also creates a warm interior which makes customers feel like being home. Besides, An Phuc purchases the freshest ingredients to use in vegan dishes, including tofu and mock meat dishes – such as vegetarian beef noodle soups or vegan shrimps. Moreover, the staff in there are friendly and quick.
- Price: Mid-range
- Opening hours: Mon – Sun, 9 am – 10 pm
- Address : 11 Ngo, 131 Thai Ha, Hanoi, Vietnam
Loving Hut Nguon Coi Restaurant-A touch of simpleness in Vietnamese vegetarian cuisine
Loving Hut specializes in fresh, seasonally inspired vegan meals offering a variety of healthy dishes which are suitable for all diets. The menu is extensive, range from vegan chicken, vegan pork or ribs, and Chinese vegetable-based food, to fresh Vietnamese dishes such as vegetarian pho. This is a great place to have a vegan lunch or dinner.
When you come to a Loving hut restaurant, you can immediately feel the warm welcome from the staff and the medium to small size of the place gives them a cozy and home alike feel.
With sauces dishes from different types of mushroom, tofu and aubergine cooked in brown vegetarian gravy to deep-fried and stir-fried dishes from rice dough, bok choy, vegetarian sausage and bitter melon.
Stir-fried bok choy with shiitake mushroom
- Price: approximately VND 30000 per dish.
- Opening hours: Mon-Sun, 9 am – 9 pm
- Address: Loving Hut Thế giới chay, Nr. 192/4, Quán Thánh, Ba Đình. Loving Hut An Lạc, Nr. 8, alley 40/2, Tạ Quang Bửu. Loving Hut Nguồn Cội, Nr. 3, alley 121/10, Chùa Láng.
Loving Hut Thiên Phúc, Nr. 18, alley 71, Nguyên Hồng, Đống Đa.
Ha Thanh – Kim Ma Theatre
Ha Thanh is an authentic vegetarian restaurant offering an exciting menu including dishes such as fried banana flowers, mock fish, sautéed gourd shooting, fried aubergines, lemongrass tofu with tomato sauce, and maize pancakes. Their specialties are Lau Thai (Thai hot pot) and Pho Ga (chicken noodle soup). They also serve a large selection of tasty fresh juices. This is a peaceful place with a pleasant ambiance, and perfect to relax while enjoying local vegetarian dishes.
- Price: Mid-range
- Opening hours: Mon-Sun, 10 am – 9 pm
- Address: 116 Ngo 166 Kim Ma, Ba Dinh (Kim Ma Theatre), Hanoi, Vietnam
Nang tam-vegetarian restaurant – A loving place for peaceful souls
“Nang tam” is among one of the famous for vegetarian restaurant in Hanoi. the place welcomes its customers with such quiet and calm sense.
The ingredients used often used by the chefs here consist of vegetables that are common but still outstanding and mild in flavors like aubergine, cauliflower, banana blossom, tofu, zucchini, mushrooms (shiitake, wood-ear,…)
“Nang tam” restaurant is attracting both local people and tourists to come and enjoy the art of cuisine there. Another great thing is that, besides vegetarian dishes as listed above, this place is also famous for its Vietnamese non-vegetarian dishes, giving customers the wide-range of food-choices.
Address: 79A Trần Hưng Đạo, Hoàn Kiếm, Hà Nội
Garlic Vegetable Saute
Phat Truong Tho restaurant
Phat Truong Tho is a famous vegan and vegetarian restaurant run by local Buddhists, located near the West Lake. A lively hangout, the place has an inspiring Tibetan Buddhist décor that features two large gold statutes of Buddha. The menu features mock meat dishes such as lemongrass ‘chicken’ or Lau, the famous hot pot, here served as a vegan version. The Buddhist chants as background music and a cat roaming around the place add a special charm to the restaurant’s atmosphere.
- Price: Mid-range
- Opening hours: Mon-Sun, 10 am – 10 pm
- Address: 184B Xuan Dieu, Tay Ho Lake, Hanoi, Vietnam.
May Trang/White Cloud restaurant
White Cloud had just, literally just reopened in their new premises the night I visited. It was also their 6 year anniversary since they first opened. As a result their menu was limited, but the lovely owner gave us a load of food and refused to let us pay, because it was a special occasion. The food was delicious, light and full of flavour. I’d love to go back some time and try more from their menu.
Note: on Happy Cow it’s changed to saying closed since I went. I don’t know if this is because they’ve closed since I was there, or if it’s because someone went to the old address and reported it closed. If you go please let me know! Open lunch and dinner times, closed Sundays.
Address: No 299 Au Co street, Tay ho District, Ha Noi, Viet Nam.
Hieu Sinh Vegetarian Restaurant
Hieu Sinh only opened in July 2015 and is a little further out than some of the other places. It’s well worth the visit though. Unlike most of the fully vegan restaurants in Hanoi, Hieu Sinh doesn’t do mock meats. Everything I tried was delicious, especially the spring rolls which are breaded and fried, and the vegan yoghurt which is sweet and creamy and doesn’t have the curious sour taste of some soy yoghurts in Asia. I tried to go back a second time early in the morning and they were closed, so the hours on Happy Cow aren’t correct and need checking. They’re open till late in the evening, though. If you’re vegan in Hanoi, don’t miss visiting Hieu Sinh.
Address: No 9 Quang Ba street, Quang An, Tay Ho, Ha Noi
Refer to the document from Eat Out page.
Let click book tours (half day or full-day) with Hanoi Free Local tours.